A person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science as to music or painting; esp. one who cultivates any study or art, from taste or attachment, without pursuing it professionally.
- A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
- Sports An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.
- One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.
- Of or performed by an amateur.
- Made up of amateurs: an amateur cast.
- Not professional; unskillful.