To give support to in some undertaking or effort, or in time of distress; to help; to aid; to succor.
- To give help or support to, especially as a subordinate or supplement; aid: The clerk assisted the judge by looking up related precedents. Her breathing was assisted by a respirator.
- To give aid or support. See Synonyms at help.
- To be present, as at a conference.
- An act of giving aid; help.
- Sports A fielding and throwing of a baseball in such a way that enables a teammate to put out a runner.
- Sports A pass, as in basketball or ice hockey, that enables the receiver to score a goal.
- Sports Official credit that is given for such a pass.
- A mechanical device providing aid.