To keep from falling; to bear; to uphold; to support; as, a foundation sustains the superstructure; a beast sustains a load; a rope sustains a weight.
- To keep in existence; maintain.
- To supply with necessities or nourishment; provide for.
- To support from below; keep from falling or sinking; prop.
- To support the spirits, vitality, or resolution of; encourage.
- To bear up under; withstand: can't sustain the blistering heat.
- To experience or suffer: sustained a fatal injury.
- To affirm the validity of: The judge has sustained the prosecutor's objection.
- To prove or corroborate; confirm.
- To keep up (a joke or assumed role, for example) competently.