A cupboard or set of shelves, either movable or fixed at one side of a room, for the display of plate, china, etc., a sideboard.
- A large sideboard with drawers and cupboards.
- A counter or table from which meals or refreshments are served.
- A restaurant having such a counter.
- A meal at which guests serve themselves from various dishes displayed on a table or sideboard.
- Informally served: a buffet luncheon.
- A blow or cuff with or as if with the hand.
- To hit or beat, especially repeatedly.
- To strike against forcefully; batter: winds that buffeted the tent. See Synonyms at beat.
- To drive or force with or as if with repeated blows: was buffeted about from job to job by the vagaries of the economy.
- To force (one's way) with difficulty.
- To force one's way with difficulty: a ship buffeting against the wind.