The act of trying or testing in any manner.
- Law Examination of evidence and applicable law by a competent tribunal to determine the issue of specified charges or claims.
- The act or process of testing, trying, or putting to the proof: a trial of one's faith.
- An instance of such testing, especially as part of a series of tests or experiments: a clinical trial of a drug.
- An effort or attempt: succeeded on the third trial.
- A state of pain or anguish that tests patience, endurance, or belief: "the fiery trial through which we pass” ( Abraham Lincoln).
- A trying, troublesome, or annoying person or thing: The child was a trial to his parents.
- A preliminary competition or test to determine qualifications, as in a sport.
- Of, relating to, or used in a trial.
- Attempted or advanced on a provisional or experimental basis: a trial separation.
- Made or done in the course of a trial or test.
- on trial In the process of being tried, as in a court of law.
- trial by fire A test of one's abilities, especially the ability to perform well under pressure.