The glumes or husks of grains and grasses separated from the seed by threshing and winnowing, etc.
- Botany Thin dry bracts or scales, especially:
- Botany The dry bracts enclosing mature grains of wheat and some other cereal grasses, removed during threshing.
- Botany The scales or bracts borne on the receptacle among the small individual flowers of many plants in the composite family.
- Finely cut straw or hay used as fodder.
- Trivial or worthless matter: ignored the picky, unimportant criticisms that were just a lot of chaff.
- Strips of metal, foil, or glass fiber with a metal content, cut into various lengths and having varying frequency responses, that are used to reflect electromagnetic energy as a radar countermeasure. These materials, usually dropped from aircraft, also can be deployed from shells or rockets.
- To make fun of in a good-natured way; tease.
- To engage in playful teasing. See Synonyms at banter.
- Good-natured teasing; banter.