Any substance, esp. food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, inclosure, or net.
- Food or other lure placed on a hook or in a trap and used in the taking of fish, birds, or other animals.
- Something, such as a worm, used for this purpose.
- An enticement; a temptation.
- Archaic A stop for food or rest during a trip.
- To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).
- To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.
- To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.
- To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.
- To tease.
- To feed (an animal), especially on a journey.
- Archaic To stop for food or rest during a trip.
- Variant of bate2.