Pertaining to a city or state, or to a citizen in his relations to his fellow citizens or to the state; within the city or state.
- Of, relating to, or befitting a citizen or citizens: civil duties.
- Of or relating to citizens and their interrelations with one another or with the state: civil society; the civil branches of government.
- Of ordinary citizens or ordinary community life as distinguished from the military or the ecclesiastical: civil authorities.
- Of or in accordance with organized society; civilized.
- Sufficiently observing or befitting accepted social usages; not rude: a civil reply. See Synonyms at polite.
- Being in accordance with or denoting legally recognized divisions of time: a civil year.
- Law Relating to the rights of private individuals and legal proceedings concerning these rights as distinguished from criminal, military, or international regulations or proceedings.