To apply the rules of syntax to (a sentence or clause) so as to exhibit the structure, arrangement, or connection of, or to discover the sense; to explain the construction of; to interpret; to translate.
- To adduce or explain the meaning of; interpret: construed my smile as assent. See Synonyms at explain.
- Grammar To analyze the structure of (a clause or sentence).
- Grammar To use syntactically: The noun fish can be construed as singular or plural.
- To translate, especially aloud.
- To analyze grammatical structure.
- To be subject to grammatical analysis.
- An interpretation or translation.