To make clear; to free from obscurity.
- To make known formally or officially. See Synonyms at announce.
- To state emphatically or authoritatively; affirm.
- To reveal or make manifest; show.
- To make a full statement of (dutiable goods, for example).
- Games To designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand in bridge.
- To make a declaration.
- To proclaim one's support, choice, opinion, or resolution.
- declare war To state formally the intention to carry on armed hostilities against.
- declare war To state one's intent to suppress or eradicate: declared war on drug dealing in the neighborhood.