Transmission by formal act or conveyance to an heir or successor; transference; especially, the transfer or transmission of the crown or royal authority to a successor.
- The end of existence or activity; termination: the demise of the streetcar.
- Law Transfer of an estate by lease or will.
- The transfer of a ruler's authority by death or abdication.
- Law To transfer (an estate) by will or lease.
- To transfer (sovereignty) by abdication or will.
- Law To be transferred by will or descent: The land demised to a charitable institution.
- To die.