The cessation of all vital phenomena without capability of resuscitation, either in animals or plants.
- The act of dying; termination of life.
- The state of being dead.
- The cause of dying: Drugs were the death of him.
- A manner of dying: a heroine's death.
- A personification of the destroyer of life, usually represented as a skeleton holding a scythe.
- Bloodshed; murder.
- Law Civil death.
- The termination or extinction of something: the death of imperialism.
- at death's door Near to death; gravely ill or injured.
- be the death of To distress or irritate to an intolerable degree.
- death on Opposed to or strict about: Our boss is death on casual dressing.
- put to death To execute.
- to death To an intolerable degree; extremely: worried to death.