To hang down; to be sustained by being fastened or attached to something above.
- To rely, especially for support or maintenance: Children must depend on their parents.
- To place trust or confidence: You can depend on his honesty. See Synonyms at rely.
- To be determined, conditioned, or contingent: a grade depending on the results of the final exam.
- To have a dependence: began to depend more and more on drugs.
- To be pending or undecided, as in a court or legislature.
- To hang down: "And ever-living Lamps depend in Rows” ( Alexander Pope).