A flaring tenon, or tongue (shaped like a bird's tail spread), and a mortise, or socket, into which it fits tightly, making an interlocking joint between two pieces which resists pulling a part in all directions except one.
- A fan-shaped tenon that forms a tight interlocking joint when fitted into a corresponding mortise.
- A joint formed by interlocking one or more such tenons and mortises.
- To cut into or join by means of dovetails.
- To connect or combine precisely or harmoniously.
- To be joined together by means of dovetails.
- To combine or interlock into a unified whole: The nurses' schedules dovetailed, so that one was always on duty.