To make stable or firm; to fix immovably or firmly; to set (a thing) in a place and make it stable there; to settle; to confirm.
- To set up; found. See Synonyms at found1.
- To bring about; generate: establish goodwill in the neighborhood.
- To place or settle in a secure position or condition; install: They established me in my own business.
- To make firm or secure.
- To cause to be recognized and accepted: a discovery that established his reputation.
- To introduce and put (a law, for example) into force.
- To prove the validity or truth of: The defense attorneys established the innocence of the accused.
- To make a state institution of (a church).