To get away from by artifice; to avoid by dexterity, subterfuge, address, or ingenuity; to elude; to escape from cleverly; as, to evade a blow, a pursuer, a punishment; to evade the force of an argument.
- To escape or avoid by cleverness or deceit: evade arrest.
- To avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing: evade responsibility. See Synonyms at escape.
- To fail to make payment of (taxes).
- To avoid giving a direct answer to.
- To baffle or elude: The accident evades explanation.
- To practice evasion.
- To use cleverness or deceit in avoiding or escaping.