A plant of the genus Zingiber, of the East and West Indies. The species most known is Z. officinale.
- A plant (Zingiber officinale) of tropical southeast Asia having yellowish-green flowers and a pungent aromatic rhizome.
- The rhizome of this plant, often dried and powdered and used as a spice. Also called gingerroot.
- Any of several related plants having variously colored, often fragrant flowers.
- Wild ginger.
- A strong brown.
- Informal Spirit and liveliness; vigor.
- To spice with ginger.
- Informal To make lively: A steel drum band gingered up the party.