Partial or total darkness; thick shade; obscurity; as, the gloom of a forest, or of midnight.
- Partial or total darkness; dimness: switched on a table lamp to banish the gloom of a winter afternoon.
- A partially or totally dark place, area, or location.
- An atmosphere of melancholy or depression: Gloom pervaded the office.
- A state of melancholy or depression; despondency.
- To be or become dark, shaded, or obscure.
- To feel, appear, or act despondent, sad, or mournful.
- To make dark, shaded, or obscure.
- Archaic To make despondent; sadden.