The act of modifying, or the state of being modified; a modified form or condition; state as modified; a change; as, the modification of an opinion, or of a machine; the various modifications of light.
- The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.
- A result of modifying.
- A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.
- Biology Any of the changes in an organism caused by environment or activity and not genetically transmissable to offspring.
- Linguistics A change undergone by a word that is borrowed from another language.
- Linguistics A phonological change undergone by a word or morpheme when it is used in a construction, as the change of will to 'll in they'll.