The act of varying; a partial change in the form, position, state, or qualities of a thing; modification; alternation; mutation; diversity; deviation; as, a variation of color in different lights; a variation in size; variation of language.
- The act, process, or result of varying.
- The state or fact of being varied. See Synonyms at difference.
- The extent or degree to which something varies: a variation of ten pounds in weight.
- Magnetic declination.
- Something slightly different from another of the same type.
- Biology Marked difference or deviation from the normal or recognized form, function, or structure.
- Biology An organism or plant exhibiting such difference or deviation.
- Mathematics A function that relates the values of one variable to those of other variables.
- Music A form that is an altered version of a given theme, diverging from it by melodic ornamentation and by changes in harmony, rhythm, or key.
- Music One of a series of forms based on a single theme.
- A solo dance, especially one forming part of a larger work.