The quality or condition of being a neighbor; the state of being or dwelling near; proximity.
- A district or area with distinctive characteristics: a neighborhood of fine homes; an ethnic neighborhood.
- The people who live near one another or in a particular district or area: The noise upset the entire neighborhood.
- The surrounding area; vicinity: happened to be in the neighborhood.
- Informal Approximate amount or range: in the neighborhood of five million dollars.
- Friendliness appropriate to a neighbor: a feeling of neighborhood.
- Mathematics The set of points surrounding a specified point, each of which is within a certain, usually small distance from the specified point.