Any plane surface, as of the floor of a room or church, or of the ground within an inclosure; an open space in a building.
- A roughly bounded part of the space on a surface; a region: a farming area; the New York area.
- A surface, especially an open, unoccupied piece of ground: a landing area; a playing area.
- A distinct part or section, as of a building, set aside for a specific function: a storage area in the basement.
- A division of experience, activity, or knowledge; a field: studies in the area of finance; a job in the health-care area.
- An open, sunken space next to a building; an areaway.
- The extent of a planar region or of the surface of a solid measured in square units.
- Computer Science A section of storage set aside for a particular purpose.