The soft spongy substance in the center of the stems of many plants and trees, especially those of the dicotyledonous or exogenous classes. It consists of cellular tissue.
- Botany The soft, spongelike, central cylinder of the stems of most flowering plants, composed mainly of parenchyma.
- Zoology The soft inner substance of a feather or hair.
- The essential or central part; the heart or essence. See Synonyms at substance.
- Strength; vigor; mettle.
- Significance; importance.
- Archaic Spinal cord or bone marrow.
- To remove the pith from (a plant stem).
- To sever or destroy the spinal cord of, usually by inserting a needle into the vertebral canal.
- To kill (cattle) by cutting the spinal cord.