The constituent elementary notions which constitute a complex notion, and must be enumerated to define it; sometimes called the nominal essence.
- The intrinsic or indispensable properties that serve to characterize or identify something.
- The most important ingredient; the crucial element.
- The inherent, unchanging nature of a thing or class of things.
- An extract that has the fundamental properties of a substance in concentrated form.
- Such an extract in a solution of alcohol.
- A perfume or scent.
- One that has or shows an abundance of a quality as if highly concentrated: a neighbor who is the essence of hospitality.
- Something that exists, especially a spiritual or incorporeal entity.
- in essence By nature; essentially: He is in essence a reclusive sort.
- of the essence Of the greatest importance; crucial: Time is of the essence.