Of or pertaining to poetry; suitable for poetry, or for writing poetry; as, poetic talent, theme, work, sentiments.
- Of or relating to poetry: poetic works.
- Having a quality or style characteristic of poetry: poetic diction.
- Suitable as a subject for poetry: a poetic romance.
- Of, relating to, or befitting a poet: poetic insight.
- Characterized by romantic imagery: "Turner's vision of the rainbow . . . was poetic, and he knew it” ( Lawrence Gowing).
- The theory or practice of writing poetry; poetics.