To overcome; to gain the victory or superiority; to gain the advantage; to have the upper hand, or the mastery; to succeed; -- sometimes with over or against.
- To be greater in strength or influence; triumph: prevailed against the enemy.
- To be or become effective; win out: hoped justice would prevail.
- To be most common or frequent; be predominant: a region where snow and ice prevail.
- To be in force, use, or effect; be current: an ancient tradition that still prevails.
- To use persuasion or inducement successfully. Often used with on, upon, or with. See Synonyms at persuade.