To send back; to give up; to surrender; to resign.
- To transmit (money) in payment.
- To refrain from exacting (a tax or penalty, for example); cancel.
- To pardon; forgive: remitted their sins.
- To restore to a former condition or position.
- Law To refer (a case) to another court for further consideration or action.
- Law To refer (a matter) to a committee or authority for decision.
- To allow to slacken: The storm remitted its fury.
- To desist from; give up.
- To put off; postpone.
- To transmit money.
- To diminish; abate.
- The act of remitting, especially the referral of a case to another court.
- A matter remitted for further consideration.