The act of pardoning; forgiveness, as of an offender, or of an offense; release from penalty; remission of punishment; absolution.
- To release (a person) from punishment; exempt from penalty: a convicted criminal who was pardoned by the governor.
- To let (an offense) pass without punishment.
- To make courteous allowance for; excuse: Pardon me, I'm in a hurry. See Synonyms at forgive.
- The act of pardoning.
- Law Exemption of a convicted person from the penalties of an offense or crime by the power of the executor of the laws.
- Law An official document or warrant declaring such an exemption.
- Allowance or forgiveness for an offense or a discourtesy: begged the host's pardon for leaving early.
- Roman Catholic Church An indulgence.