To bend or curve back; as, a retorted line.
- To reply, especially to answer in a quick, caustic, or witty manner. See Synonyms at answer.
- To present a counterargument to.
- To return in kind; pay back.
- To make a reply, especially a quick, caustic, or witty one.
- To present a counterargument.
- To return like for like; retaliate.
- A quick incisive reply, especially one that turns the first speaker's words to his or her own disadvantage.
- The act or an instance of retorting.
- A closed laboratory vessel with an outlet tube, used for distillation, sublimation, or decomposition by heat.