To speak in defense against; to reply to in defense; as, to answer a charge; to answer an accusation.
- A spoken or written reply, as to a question.
- A correct reply.
- A solution, as to a problem.
- A correct solution.
- An act in retaliation or response: Our only possible answer was to sue.
- Something markedly similar to another of the same class: cable TV's answer to the commercial networks' sportscasts.
- Law A defendant's defense against charges.
- To speak, write, or act as a return, as to a question.
- To be liable or accountable: You must answer for your actions.
- To serve the purpose; suffice: "Often I do use three words where one would answer” ( Mark Twain).
- To correspond; match: I found a dog answering to that description.
- To speak, write, or act as a return to; respond to.
- To respond correctly to.
- To fulfill the demands or needs of; serve: "My fortune has answered my desires” ( Isaak Walton).
- To conform or correspond to: The suspect answers the description given by the police.