A temporary structure of timber, boards, etc., for various purposes, as for supporting workmen and materials in building, for exhibiting a spectacle upon, for holding the spectators at a show, etc.
- A temporary platform, either supported from below or suspended from above, on which workers sit or stand when performing tasks at heights above the ground.
- A raised wooden framework or platform.
- A platform used in the execution of condemned prisoners, as by hanging or beheading.
- To provide or support with a raised framework or platform.
- To place on a raised framework or platform.