To frighten; to strike with sudden fear; to alarm.
- To strike with sudden fear; alarm. See Synonyms at frighten.
- To become frightened: a child who scares easily.
- A condition or sensation of sudden fear.
- A general state of alarm; a panic: a bomb scare that necessitated evacuating the building.
- Serving or intended to frighten people: scare stories; scare tactics.
- scare up Informal To gather or prepare with considerable effort or ingenuity: managed to scare up some folding chairs for the unexpected crowd.