A wild, headlong scamper, or running away, of a number of animals; usually caused by fright; hence, any sudden flight or dispersion, as of a crowd or an army in consequence of a panic.
- A sudden frenzied rush of panic-stricken animals.
- A sudden headlong rush or flight of a crowd of people.
- A mass impulsive action: a stampede of support for the candidate.
- To cause (a herd of animals) to flee in panic.
- To cause (a crowd of people) to act on mass impulse.
- To flee in a headlong rush.
- To act on mass impulse.