To emit a strong, offensive smell; to send out a disgusting odor.
- To emit a strong foul odor.
- To be highly offensive or abhorrent.
- To be in extremely bad repute.
- Slang To have something to an extreme or offensive degree: a family that stinks with money; a deed that stinks of treachery.
- Slang To be of an extremely low or bad quality: This job stinks.
- Slang To have the appearance of dishonesty or corruption: Something about his testimony stinks.
- To cause to stink: garbage that stinks up the yard.
- A strong offensive odor; a stench. See Synonyms at stench.
- Slang A scandal or controversy: "the stink over sexual politics in the military” ( David Nyhan).
- make Slang To make a great fuss.