To make sweet to the taste; as, to sweeten tea.
- To make sweet or sweeter by adding sugar, honey, saccharin, or another sweet substance.
- To make more pleasant or agreeable.
- To soften or soothe: sweetened her mood.
- To make bearable; alleviate.
- Informal To increase the value of (collateral for a loan) by adding more securities.
- Informal To enhance the attractiveness or financial desirability of (an offer, for example).
- Games To increase the value of (an unwon poker pot) by adding stakes before reopening.
- To make less acidic: sweeten the stomach with antacids.
- To remove sulfur compounds from (fuel oil or gas).
- To become sweet.