To make unsuitable or incompetent; to deprive of the strength, skill, or proper qualities for anything; to disable; to incapacitate; to disqualify; as, sickness unfits a man for labor; sin unfits us for the society of holy beings.
- Not meant or adapted for a given purpose; inappropriate: a solvent that is unfit for use on wood surfaces.
- Below the required standard; unqualified: an unfit parent.
- Not in good physical or mental health.
- Biology Unable to survive or produce viable offspring in a particular environment.
- To cause to be unsuited or unqualified: "Having run for president . . . often unfits a man for lesser or more useful subsequent work” ( Garry Wills).