To cast or drive out; to banish; to expel; to reject.
- To withdraw one's support or help from, especially in spite of duty, allegiance, or responsibility; desert: abandon a friend in trouble.
- To give up by leaving or ceasing to operate or inhabit, especially as a result of danger or other impending threat: abandoned the ship.
- To surrender one's claim to, right to, or interest in; give up entirely. See Synonyms at relinquish.
- To cease trying to continue; desist from: abandoned the search for the missing hiker.
- To yield (oneself) completely, as to emotion.
- Unbounded enthusiasm; exuberance.
- A complete surrender of inhibitions.