To make exact; to fit; to make correspondent or conformable; to bring into proper relations; as, to adjust a garment to the body, or things to a standard.
- To change so as to match or fit; cause to correspond.
- To bring into proper relationship.
- To adapt or conform, as to new conditions: "unable to adjust themselves to their environment” ( Karl A. Menninger). See Synonyms at adapt.
- To bring the components of into a more effective or efficient calibration or state: adjust the timing of a car's engine.
- In chiropracty, to manipulate (the spine and other body structures) to treat disorders and restore normal function of the nervous system.
- To decide how much is to be paid on (an insurance claim).
- To adapt oneself; conform.
- To achieve a psychological balance with regard to one's external environment, one's needs, and the demands of others.