The act of assuming, or taking to or upon one's self; the act of taking up or adopting.
- The act of taking to or upon oneself: assumption of an obligation.
- The act of taking possession or asserting a claim: assumption of command.
- The act of taking for granted: assumption of a false theory.
- Something taken for granted or accepted as true without proof; a supposition: a valid assumption.
- Presumption; arrogance.
- Logic A minor premise.
- Christianity The taking up of the Virgin Mary into heaven in body and soul after her death.
- A feast celebrating this event.
- August 15, the day on which this feast is observed.