Having an inherent power of action or motion.
- Acting or operating in a manner essentially independent of external influence or control: an automatic light switch; a budget deficit that triggered automatic spending cuts.
- Self-regulating: an automatic washing machine.
- Acting or done without volition or conscious control; involuntary: automatic shrinking of the pupils of the eyes in strong light. See Synonyms at spontaneous.
- Acting or done as if by machine; mechanical: an automatic reply to a familiar question.
- Capable of firing continuously until ammunition is exhausted or the trigger is released: an automatic rifle.
- Semiautomatic: an automatic pistol.
- An automatic machine or device.
- An automatic firearm.
- A semiautomatic firearm.
- A transmission or a motor vehicle with an automatic gear-shifting mechanism.
- Football See audible.
- on automatic Functioning by or as if by automatic machine or device.