To fall upon with force; to assail, as with force and arms; to assault.
- To set upon with violent force.
- To criticize strongly or in a hostile manner.
- To start work on with purpose and vigor: attack a problem.
- To begin to affect harmfully: a disease that attacks the central nervous system.
- To make an attack; launch an assault: The enemy attacked during the night.
- The act or an instance of attacking; an assault.
- An expression of strong criticism; hostile comment: vicious attacks in all the newspapers.
- Sports An offensive action in a sport or game.
- Sports The players executing such an action.
- The initial movement in a task or undertaking: made an optimistic attack on the pile of paperwork.
- A method or procedure: Our attack on this project will have two phases.
- An episode or onset of a disease, especially an occurrence of a chronic disease: an asthma attack.
- The experience or beginning of a feeling, need, or desire: an attack of hunger; an attack of melancholy.
- Music The beginning or manner of beginning a piece, passage, or tone.
- Decisiveness and clarity in artistic expression: a careful performance, but one lacking the rigorous attack the work demands.