A ridge of land left unplowed between furrows, or at the end of a field; a piece missed by the plow slipping aside.
- To stop short and refuse to go on: The horse balked at the jump.
- To refuse obstinately or abruptly: She balked at the very idea of compromise.
- Sports To make an incomplete or misleading motion.
- Baseball To make an illegal motion before pitching, allowing one or more base runners to advance one base.
- To check or thwart by or as if by an obstacle.
- Archaic To let go by; miss.
- A hindrance, check, or defeat.
- Sports An incomplete or misleading motion, especially an illegal move made by a baseball pitcher.
- Games One of the spaces between the cushion and the balk line on a billiard table.
- An unplowed strip of land.
- A ridge between furrows.
- A wooden beam or rafter.