The face; the countenance or its expression.
- Lightness of spirits or mood; gaiety or joy: a happy tune, full of cheer.
- A source of joy or happiness; a comfort.
- A shout of approval, encouragement, or congratulation.
- A short, rehearsed jingle or phrase, shouted in unison by a squad of cheerleaders.
- Festive food and drink; refreshment.
- To make happier or more cheerful: a warm fire that cheered us.
- To encourage with or as if with cheers; urge: The fans cheered the runners on. See Synonyms at encourage.
- To salute or acclaim with cheers; applaud. See Synonyms at applaud.
- To shout cheers.
- To become cheerful: had lunch and soon cheered up.