To press or squeeze together; to force into a narrower compass; to reduce the volume of by pressure; to compact; to condense; as, to compress air or water.
- To press together: compressed her lips.
- To make more compact by or as if by pressing.
- Computer Science To transform (data) to minimize the space required for storage or transmission: compressed the file so that it could be downloaded efficiently.
- Medicine A soft pad of gauze or other material applied with pressure to a part of the body to control hemorrhage or to supply heat, cold, moisture, or medication to alleviate pain or reduce infection.
- A machine for compressing material.