A person skilled in the principles and practice of any branch of engineering. See under Engineering,
- One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
- One who operates an engine.
- One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise.
- To plan, construct, or manage as an engineer.
- To alter or produce by methods of genetic engineering: "Researchers . . . compared insulin manufactured by bacteria genetically engineered with recombinant DNA techniques to the commercial insulin obtained from swine or cattle” ( Fusion).
- To plan, manage, and put through by skillful acts or contrivance; maneuver.