A good or evil spirit, or demon, supposed by the ancients to preside over a man's destiny in life; a tutelary deity; a supernatural being; a spirit, good or bad. Cf. Jinnee.
- Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
- A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius” ( Simone de Beauvoir).
- A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
- A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
- One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
- The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
- Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
- A person who has great influence over another.
- A jinni in Muslim mythology.