To test by any appropriate method; to inspect carefully with a view to discover the real character or state of; to subject to inquiry or inspection of particulars for the purpose of obtaining a fuller insight into the subject of examination, as a material substance, a fact, a reason, a cause, the truth of a statement; to inquire or search into; to explore; as, to examine a mineral; to examine a ship to know whether she is seaworthy; to examine a proposition, theory, or question.
- To observe carefully or critically; inspect: examined the room for clues.
- To study or analyze: examine a tissue sample under a microscope; examine the structure of a novel; examine one's own motives.
- To test or check the condition or health of: examine a patient.
- To determine the qualifications, aptitude, or skills of by means of questions or exercises.
- To question formally, as to elicit facts or information; interrogate: examine a witness under oath. See Synonyms at ask.