To ward or fend off; to drive back or away; to repel.
- To make or keep safe from danger, attack, or harm.
- Sports To attempt to prevent the opposition from scoring while playing in or near (a goal or area of a field, for example).
- Sports To be responsible for guarding (an opposing player).
- Sports To compete against a challenger in an attempt to retain (a championship).
- To support or maintain, as by argument or action; justify.
- Law To represent (a defendant) in a civil or criminal action.
- Law To attempt to disprove or invalidate (an action or claim).
- To make a defense.
- Sports To play defense.