To feel or grope about; to make awkward attempts to do or find something.
- To touch or handle nervously or idly: fumble with a necktie.
- To grope awkwardly to find or to accomplish something: fumble for a key.
- To proceed awkwardly and uncertainly; blunder: fumble through a speech.
- Football To drop a ball that is in play.
- Baseball To mishandle a ground ball.
- To touch or handle clumsily or idly: "fumbled the receiver into its cradle” ( Howard Kaplan).
- To make a mess of; bungle. See Synonyms at botch.
- To feel or make (one's way) awkwardly.
- Football To drop (a ball) while in play.
- Baseball To mishandle (a ground ball).
- The act or an instance of fumbling.
- Sports A ball that has been fumbled.