The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is given.
- A stroke or blow with or as if with a whip.
- A whip.
- The flexible portion of a whip, such as a plait or thong.
- Punishment administered with a whip.
- A lacerating presence or power: the lash of conscience.
- A caustic verbal attack.
- An eyelash.
- To strike with or as if with a whip.
- To strike against with force or violence: sleet lashing the roof.
- To beat or swing rapidly: The alligator lashed its tail in the water.
- To make a scathing oral or written attack against.
- To drive or goad; sting: words that lashed them into action.
- To move swiftly or violently; thrash: heard the snake lashing about in the leaves.
- To aim a sudden blow; strike: The mule lashed out with its hind legs.
- To beat; flail: waves lashing at the shore.
- To make a scathing verbal or written attack. Often used with out: lashed out at her critics during the interview.
- To secure or bind, as with a rope, cord, or chain.